Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back In The 417

I started my training as a Mister Manager at the Student Union on Monday with a team building activity at a place called Medieval Fortress. In short, we helped by building a wall out of hay, sheep poop, mud, and water.

Good experience. Not at all what I was expecting.

Throughout the week we have been learing about the goings on of the Union and what our role is in it all. It has been good, but very long. After today I will have put in 38 hours this week! Wowzers.

Work isn't worth blogging about. Here is what has happened this week that is fun and hopefully more exciting to read about.

Rewind to Saturday. Midnight bike ride with my best friends through the beautiful Kansas City. A tradition that must be upheld. Such a good time of reuniting and reflecting on what God has been doing. Sounds like things at YouthFront were amazing (as usual). My brother got to TeenStaff quite a bit this summer, something I wish I would have done. The people that run that place are incredible.

Sunday Chase and I went to Jacob's Well to hear the Word get BROUGHT! It was awesome. 50% of the appeal of Kansas City, I would say. That community is beautiful, and it has always been something I have been on the outside of because of my location. We'll see where I am this time next year, but I hope there is opportunities to build community that is intended. Something that was said at JW was a quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer that went something along the lines of "don't let your dreams for community get in the way of the community you are in now."

That hit pretty hard because for the past year or so I have had ideas of how I want to live after I graduate and not focusing on the community I am in now that is an incredible God-fearing, loving and accepting one. I hope that this year can bring me to realize that and I do not discount where I am now.

Later Sunday afternoon we celebrated Grammy's 70th birthday! She does not seem 70. It was good to see the whole family and lay some smackdown on them in ping-pong. Yes, you are reading the blog of the current family champion (formerly held by Grammy herself). We then headed back to Springfield for the beginning of training and getting settled down.

Last night (Wednesday) we had some people over for a little dinner party. Hosting is probably my favorite thing to do. I'm not the best cook, but last night's meal wasn't anything to sneer at. We also played some Killer Uno, thanks to David. That game is insane.

Now, I'm rockin' my first Building Manager shift on my own listening to some Michael Gungor Band. Pretty good stuff. "Beautiful Things" is by far the best track I have heard thus far, but I will have to listen to the rest of it a few more times. Things are super slow around the Union tonight, but it is a good first shift. I think I am getting the hang of things around here.

Sleeping in tomorrow for the first time in a while, but not too late... Sufjan Stevens tickets go on sale at 10! This is monumental.

2 comments:

Laura Kay said...

I'm glad you like hosting. You're pretty much freaking great at it. Also, I am hereby requesting blogs on the topics of INCEPTION and "commune." Kthanks.

Craig said...

We just say "manager."