Friday, April 3, 2009

Bike Wreck

After 10 months of riding my bike pretty aggressively through traffic and such, today on the way to Philosophy I was hit by a car.

Because I am the one who was hit, I'm saying it is the dude in the Buick's fault. But it is probably just as much mine as his.

Here's the story folks.
I am riding West on Grand getting ready to turn right onto John Q. Hammons Parkway. The cars are stopped at the light, so like every other day, I pass them on the right and make sure none of them are turning by checking for turn signals.

The light turns green as I am passing the last 2 cars in line.

Today, no one was planning on turning right. That is to say, legally. (No turn signals were used). The second car in line decides to turn as I am passing him. He proceeds to side-swipe me and drive off.

This incident leaves me with a nice bent pair of handlebars, an out-of-true front wheel and a couple nice scrapes to show for it. My bike is still in working order, but this does give me another reason to look into new parts. :)

Here is a picture of my rigorous route.

3 comments:

Erik Dierking said...

dang dude! luckily it didn't turn out any worse than it did.

Anonymous said...

that was pretty intense it sounds like. i am glad you are okay!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I drove off.